Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) can trace its origins to the ‘Ecole de Medicine de Pondicherry’ established by the French Government in 1823. In 1956 foundation for new medical college was laid and in 1964, hospital was inaugurated. JIPMER became an institution of national importance under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India in the year 2008. It is an institution established for teaching, research and patient care in the area of health. JIPMER spreads over 192 acres. The institution houses one administrative block, one academic centre, one nursing college, seven hospital blocks, seven accessory services buildings and four residential complexes. 12 broad types of medical, nursing and allied health science courses covering all disciplines in healthcare from basic to super speciality training are conducted.